I want to share important news on COVID-19 vaccinations for Northwestern Medicine (NM) patients. As Chicago enters phase 1b of the vaccination plan, designated patients age 65 and older will receive an invitation to be vaccinated at an NM hospital. Following is information from NM on how the process will work:
- PLEASE NOTE: Patients do not need to take action at this time. Eligible patients will receive an invitation via their preferred communication method — text, email or phone — to schedule their vaccination appointment.
- All communications, orders for vaccinations and administration will be managed by NM. Once notified, patients who choose to receive the vaccine will be able to self-schedule their vaccination appointments using one of two methods: MyNM, powered by MyChart; or a new, custom portal. NM notes that invitations will be staggered according to age and zip code to ensure equity and efficiency.
- All vaccinations will be given at a Northwestern Medicine hospital. Patients who are invited can call the NM Patient Vaccination Hotline at 312.694.6600 for additional information and to schedule a vaccination appointment.
- NM currently has both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. You will not have the opportunity to choose your vaccine, but will receive one based on available supply. Please know that both are extremely effective at preventing COVID-19 illness. In clinical trials, Pfizer was shown to be 95% effective, Moderna 94.1%.
- You should NOT receive the vaccine at this time if:
- you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 90 days. Please wait at least 90 days after your COVID-19 diagnosis before scheduling vaccination.
- you have a fever above 100 degrees F or symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 — cough, shortness of breath, or loss of taste or smell.
- you have recently been exposed to COVID-19.
- you have received a flu shot or any other type of vaccine in the past 14 days. Please schedule your vaccination after this 14-day period.
For more information on NM’s vaccine rollout, please CLICK HERE to visit the hospital’s online COVID-19 Resource Center.
I will continue to provide email and website updates on COVID-19 vaccine distribution in our area. As always, patients are welcome to call the office with questions or concerns.
Katarzyna Strycharz Skura, MD